CHRISTOPHER I. XENAKIS
B. A. Philosophy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 1971.
M. Div., Th. M., Western Conservative Baptist Seminary, Portland, Oregon, 1977, 1979.
M. A., Theatre Arts, Portland State University, Portland, Oregon, 1980.
D. Min., Denver Seminary, Denver, Colorado, 1983.
Diploma, Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island, 1993.
M. A., International Relations, Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., 1991.
Ph. D., World Politics, Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., May 1998.
- Emphasis: Soviet and Chinese Politics
- Dissertation: Why Did U.S. Sovietology Fail to Anticipate the Possibility of Soviet Change? An Examination of American Sovietological Literature from 1974 to 1988.
- Advisor: Dr. Joan Barth Urban
Lombard Mennonite Peace Center
- Attended Clergy Clinic, 2006-2007
- Conflict Mediation Skills Training Workshop, August 2006, February 2008
- “Leadership and Anxiety in the Church” Workshop, September 2006
- “Raising the Roof” Seminar, May 2006
- “Discerning Your Congregation’s Call” Seminar, March 2007
- Facilitator Training, April-May 2008, Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Columbus Ohio
Pastor, Riviera Baptist Church, Bullhead City, Arizona, August 1978-March 1983.
Chaplain, U.S. Navy (Retired), April 1983-June 1998
Pastor, Bayside Christian Church, Virginia Beach, Virginia, May 1995-December 2002.
Senior Minister, First Congregational Church, Binghamton, New York, January 2003-July 2005.
Pastor, Groton City United Church of Christ, Groton, New York, October 2005—2015.
Pastor, Groton Community Church, Groton, New York, January 2009—Present.
COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY TEACHING:
Lecturer, Department of Political Science, State University of New York College at Cortland, Cortland, New York, August 2005—Present.
Assistant Professor of Political Science, Tidewater Community College, Norfolk, Virginia, January 1999—December 2002.
Courses Taught: International Relations; World Politics; U.S. Foreign Policy; European Politics; American Government; Public Speaking; Theatre Appreciation.
What Happened to the Soviet Union? How and Why American Sovietologists Were Caught by Surprise (Westport, Conn.: Praeger Publishers, 2002).
Living Stewardship: Youth, A Faith Practices Book (Circle Books, 2010).
World Politics and the American Quest for Super-Villains, Demons, and Bad Guys to Destroy (San Diego: Cognella, 2014).
Various op-ed and magazine articles
MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS:
- Ordained Ministerial Standing, Susquehanna Association, New York Conference, United Church of Christ
- The U.S. Naval Institute
Member, Susquehanna Association Committee on Authorized Ministry, New York Conference, United Church of Christ, 2003-2008; 2015—Present
Co-Chair, Family Counseling Ministry Committee, 2009-2014.
Member, Commission on Ministry, New York Conference, United Church of Christ, 2004-Present.
Chairman, New Church Development Commission, Southern Conference, United Church of Christ, 2000-2002
Member and Principal Writer, Self-Study (Strategic Planning and Visioning) Committee, Southern Conference, United Church of Christ, 2000-2002.